Born on 8th October, 1939, in Lascano, Rocha, Uruguay.
Poet, graphic artist, performer, videomaker, multimedia, networker and art critic.
Graduated on Hispanic Literature at the Republic of Uruguay´s University.
Edited the magazines Los Huevos del Plata (The Silver´s Eggs), 1965-1969; OVUM 10 and OVUM, 1969-1975, Participación (Participation) 1984-1986 and Correo del Sur (Southern Post), 2000.
Had published some books and booklets in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Venezuela, United States, Holland and Uruguay including : Los Horizontes Abiertos, two editions, 1969-1989 ; Visual Poems, four editions: the first "OVUM",1969 , the last Xexoxial Ed., Madison,Wisc.,U.S.,1990 and in Internet <http://www.thing.net/~grist/l&d/padin/lpadin1.htm> ; Angulos, Amodulo, Milano, Italy, 1972; De la Representation a l´Action, Doc(k)s Ed.,Marseille, France,1975 ; Omaggio a Beuys and Sign(o)graphics, I.A.C. Ed.,Oldenburg,Germany,1975-1976; Happy Bicentennial, Daylight Ed., Holland,1976; Action-Works, three editions 83, 88 and 1992 ; Peace=Bread, (Ed.Fluxshoe, New York,U.S.,1986 ; Art & People, Light and Dust , Wisconsin, USA, http://www.concentric.net/~Lndb/padin/lcpcont.htm (1996); Experimental Poetry, Factoria Merz Mail, Barcelona, Spain,1999, La Poesía Experimental Latinoamericana, 1950-2000, Información y Producciones, Madrid, Spain, 1999, etc.
Had exhibited collectively in more than 207 expositions and in more than 1.200 Mail Art Shows, from 1969 to 1999. Had exhibited his works individually in:
- Gallery U, Montevideo, Uruguay, 1973
- DAAD Gallery, West Berlin, Germany, 1984
- A.C. J. Gallery, Montevideo, Uruguay, 1985
- Art Space Gallery, Hyogo, Japan, 1986.
- Cinemateca Gallery, Montevideo, Uruguay, 1988.
- Liberarte Gallery, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1988.
- Yellow Springs Gallery, Chester Springs, Philadelphia, U.S.A., 1989.
- Micro Hall Art Center, Edewecht, Germany, 1989.
- Cinemateca Gallery, Montevideo, Uruguay, 1995.
- Art Dept. Sung Kyun Kwan University, Seoul, South Korea, 1996
- Centre of Arts, Hasselt, Bélgica, 1997
- Galpón Sur, Barcelona, España, 1997
- Sarenco-Club Art Gallery,Verona, Italia, 1998
Was especial guest in the XVI Sao Paulo Biennal (Brazil, 1981) ; special mention in the I Biennal of La Habana, Cuba (1984) ; fellowshipped by German Academy of Arts and Literature, DAAD, West Berlin, Germany (1984) ; admitted in the II Video Biennal of Medellin, Colombia (1988); The XI International Congress in Aesthetic, Nottingham, England (1988) ; rewarded in the Posters Concourse to XXIV Seoul Olympiad, Korea (1988) ; Actions, multidisciplinary artistic event in Chester Springs, Philadelphia, USA (1989) ; rewarded in XXXVIII Montevideo´s Municipality Saloon (1990) ; V International Biennal of Visual/Experimental Poetry, Mexico City, Mexico (1996) where was distinguished by his pionnering activities joined to Edgardo Antonio Vigo and Guillermo Deisler ; Eye Rhymes (conference on visual poetry, Edmonton, Canada, 1997); VIII International Festival on Poetry, Medellín, Colombia (1998), Literature out of the Books, University of Barcelone, Spain, 1999, VII Biennal of Havanna, Cuba, 2000, etc.
Organized numerous expositions in Uruguay, Argentine, Brasil, Chile, Spain, Panama and Germany, including International New Poetry Exposition (1969) ; Exhaustive New Poetry Exposition (1972) ; Creative Post-Card Festival (1974, first documented mail art show in Latin America) ; Exposition for Freedoms (1984) ; Latin America Today (1984, DAAD Gallery, W.Berlin, Germany) ; First Video Show (Montevideo,1986) ; Experimental Uruguayan Poetry (1987) ; "Latinoamerican Festival of Art in the Streets (Montevideo,1990) ; No More Excuses (1991) ; Jose Marti :100th Anniversary (1995) , Chiapas (Montevideo and Barcelone, 1998-99), etc.
Was jailed by the Uruguayan dictatorship (1973-1985) for "to hurt the morale and reputation of the Army" during two years and three months. He was condemned for four years but the international artistic solidarity liberated him before. The real cause of his detention was his artistical activities against the brutality of the dictatorship and his co-organization of the Counter-Biennal in front of the Latinoamerican Section of the X Biennal of Paris, France, 1977, curated by the Fine Arts Museum of Uruguay.
Performed his action-works in numerous countries from The Poetry Should Be Done for Everyone (Montevideo, 1970) ; Lean Your Hand (Cayc Gallery, Buenos Aires, 1971) ; The Artist is at the Service of the Community (Sao Paulo, Brazil, 1975 and 1981) ; Homage John Heartfield and For Life and Peace (West Berlin, 1984) ; Fasting for Liberation in Latin America (Rosario,Argentine,1984) ; Memorial Latin America (Philadelphia, U.S.A., 1989) ; Get Moving Panama (Montevideo, 1990) ; Latinoamerican Memorial (Porto Alegre,Brazil,1990) ; Art Strike (Montevideo,1990) ; Shadow Project (Montevideo, 1991, with John Held) ; Kunst=Kapital (Montevideo, 1993, in homage to Joseph Beuys) ; Reading Performance (San Francisco, California, U.S.,1994) ; Help me to Stick (Santiago, Chile,1995) ; Fax-Man (Montevideo,1995) ; Willy, for ever... (Mexico,1996, homage to Guillermo Deisler) ; They are no deads... (Bentos Goncalves, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; Montevideo and Buenos Aires, 1996) ; Selfrelated Poems (Edmonton, Canada,1997), Salve Multiforme (Montevideo, 1998), Ausencia - Presencia (Buenos Aires, 1998, homage to Edgardo Antonio Vigo) y Art Zone (Montevideo, Barcelone & Oaxaca, Mexico, 1999).
Has been published in tenths and tenths of magazines and publications in all the world. His notes was translateds to English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Hungarian, Dutch, German, Russian, etc.
Has worked actively in internet projects since 1992. For more information see :
Has personally participed, among others, in the following encounters:
- International Expo of Propositions a Realize, Buenos Aires, 1971
- XVI Sao Paulo Biennal, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 1981
- First Seminary of Contemporaneous Art, Rosario, Argentine, 1984.
- 34th Annual Meeting of PCCLAS, Mexico & U.S.A., 1988.
- XI International Congress in Aesthetic, Nottingham, England, 1988.
- Actions, Chester Springs, Philadelphia, U.S.A., 1989.
- II Latinoamerican Encounter of Fine Arts, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil, 1990.
- TOMARTE,First Alternative Encounter of Art , Rosario, Argentine, 1990.
- International IX Symposium of Literature: Modernism - Modernity - Postmodernity, Montevideo, Uruguay, 1993.
- International Coloquium on Hispano-American Poetry from 60s., La Habana, Cuba,1994.
- XXXIX Congress of SALALM, Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A., 1994.
- I International Conference of Latinamerican Literature 1945-1995, Mexico, 1995.
- V International Biennal of Visual/Experimental Poetry, Mexico City, Mexico, 1996
- I & II Euro-American Exposition of Visual Poetry", Bentos Goncalves, RS, Brazil, 1996-1997.
- First Buenos Aires Conference on Experimental Poetry, Argentine, 1996.
- Art, Ethics and Human Rights, University of Tucuman, Argentine, 1996.
- Eye Rhymes, University of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 1997.
- STOP, National Museum of Contemporary Arts, Santiago, Chile, 1998.
- Intersigns Poetry, Paço das Artes, San Pablo, Brazil, 1998.
- VIII Festival Internacional de Poesía de Medellín, Colombia, 1998.
- Belo Horizonte Biennal of Poetry, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil,1998.
- The Literature out the Books, University of Barcelone, Spain, 1999.
- Trienal of Visual Poetry, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil, 2000
- VII Biennal of Havanna, Wifredo Lam Centre, La Habana, Cuba, 2000
Clemente Padín: C. Correo Central 1211, Montevideo 11000, URUGUAY